Saturday, February 22, 2014

The Grover Perspective

I tell people I'm pursuing a career in comedy because it sounds infinitely better than "show business".  I spent more time at Sundance this year than any other because I don't know when I'll be in Utah during the festival again.  I was surrounded by show biz. Suffocated by pseudo-success.  It felt like people were trying to convince everyone around them that they were legitimate filmmakers.  Similar to football fans wearing their favorite player's jersey, people at Sundance wear Patagonia jackets and trendy glasses to masquerade as their favorite industry icons. The line between fan and filmmaker becomes indiscernible. The only thing more repelling than a person gloating in their success is pretending be successful. I remember thinking "I'm surrounded by people pretending to be filmmakers" followed by "oh no, is that what I'm doing?". 

 I tell people I'm a comedian. I'll tell them I'm a writer. Am I? A critical perspective on what I've done in comedy would suggest that it's been a successful hobby, but to call it a career would only be appropriate with a substantial dose of sarcasm. I've made some money in comedy at times, but balanced with the money I've put in I've easily netted a loss. What makes me any different? Why am I any more legitimate than some dude with a half-beard talking about how mumble core isn't what it used to be? I hope it's commitment to the dream.  The willingness to give everything I have to be successful. I hope it's because, more than anything, I want to create funny.  I want to do it well. I want do it in a way that contributes a unique perspective.  And, yes, I want to make money doing it. This is pretentious. That's fine. It'll be the common ground I can share with those in the biz. That, and my trendy ass glasses. 

No comments:

Post a Comment